Alcohol and drug abuse contributes to illness and premature deaths in a big way. It is associated with several socio economic consequences such as loss of earnings and domestic violence. It casts its spell on the poor and the rich, the urban and rural in almost in the same way. While the rich and the urban victims handle in a way befitting them, the rural people are most affected as the deaddiction treatment is not within their reach. They are not even aware of them. VSP tries to bridge the gap by arranging for de addiction camps which educate the villagers on all the aspects of addiction – the cause, symptoms, craving, behaviour, abstinence, sobriety, deaddiction treatment, relapse. etc.
The following are some of the key points related to the measures taken in VSP for de addiction.
- Awareness on addiction as a disease is created through counselling using audio visual aids.
- Distributing pamphlets on the benefits of De-addiction camp
- Villagers diagnosed with the disease are identified and counselling/support provided to the needy by the professionals through the De-addiction camp.
- Motivation and handholding is extended throughout to ensure sobriety and methods / techniques provided to avoid relapse.
- Professional help and guidance is provided by representatives of internationaldeaddiction agencies.